- Borough of Seaside Park
- 1701 North Ocean Avenue - Seaside Park
- New Jersey 08752 - United States
Seaside Park is a borough located in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. It is a small community located on the Barnegat Peninsula, a barrier island that separates the Barnegat Bay from the Atlantic Ocean. The history of Seaside Park dates back to the late 1800s when it was originally called "Seaside Park Association of Ocean County."
The area was first developed in the 1870s as a seaside resort for vacationers from New York City and Philadelphia. The Seaside Park Association was formed in 1878 to manage the development of the area. The association purchased the land from the Barnegat Land Improvement Company, which had been developing the area as a summer resort since the 1860s.
In the early years of Seaside Park's development, there were few amenities. Visitors had to bring their own food and supplies and stay in tents or small cabins. As the community grew, more permanent structures were built, including hotels, boarding houses, and cottages.
Seaside Park continued to develop throughout the early 20th century. The boardwalk was built in 1915 and later extended to Seaside Heights. The area became a popular destination for families and young people looking for a summer getaway.
In the 1940s, Seaside Park was hit hard by Hurricane Gloria, which caused extensive damage to the area. However, the community rebuilt and continued to thrive in the following decades.
Today, Seaside Park is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches, amusement parks, and family-friendly atmosphere. The borough is home to several annual events, including the Seaside Park Wine Festival and the Seaside Park Arts and Crafts Show.
Top Tourist Attractions
Seaside Park is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches, amusement parks, and family-friendly atmosphere. Here are some of the top tourist attractions in Seaside Park:
- Seaside Park Beach: Seaside Park is home to a beautiful, wide beach that stretches for miles. Visitors can swim, sunbathe, and enjoy a variety of water sports, including surfing, paddleboarding, and kayaking.
- Island Beach State Park: Located just south of Seaside Park, Island Beach State Park is a popular destination for nature lovers. The park features a long stretch of undeveloped beach, as well as sand dunes, wetlands, and forests. Visitors can hike, bike, fish, and explore the park's natural beauty.
- Casino Pier and Breakwater Beach Waterpark: Casino Pier is a popular amusement park located in nearby Seaside Heights. It features a variety of rides, games, and attractions, including a classic Ferris wheel and a roller coaster. The attached Breakwater Beach Waterpark offers water slides, lazy rivers, and other aquatic fun.
- Seaside Heights Boardwalk: The Seaside Heights Boardwalk is a popular destination for visitors to Seaside Park. The boardwalk is home to a variety of restaurants, shops, and attractions, including arcades, mini-golf courses, and carnival games.
- Seaside Park Arts and Crafts Show: Held annually in September, the Seaside Park Arts and Crafts Show features a wide variety of handmade crafts and artwork from local and regional artists. Visitors can browse and purchase unique gifts and souvenirs while enjoying live music and other entertainment.
- Island Beach State Park Fishing: Island Beach State Park is a popular spot for fishing enthusiasts. The park features a variety of fishing opportunities, including surf fishing, bay fishing, and freshwater fishing. Visitors can catch a variety of fish, including striped bass, bluefish, fluke, and weakfish.
- Barnegat Lighthouse State Park: Located a short drive from Seaside Park, Barnegat Lighthouse State Park is home to a historic lighthouse that dates back to 1859. Visitors can climb to the top of the lighthouse for panoramic views of the surrounding area. The park also features hiking trails and picnic areas.
Seaside Park has a humid subtropical climate, with warm summers and cool winters. The area experiences a fair amount of precipitation throughout the year, with an average of around 45 inches (114 cm) of rainfall annually.
Summer temperatures in Seaside Park are typically warm and humid, with highs averaging in the mid to upper 80s Fahrenheit (around 30 Celsius) in July and August. Nights are generally mild, with lows in the 60s Fahrenheit (around 20 Celsius).
Winter temperatures in Seaside Park are cool, but not usually extremely cold. Highs in December, January, and February typically range from the low 40s to the low 50s Fahrenheit (around 5-10 Celsius). Lows at night can dip into the 20s Fahrenheit (around -5 Celsius) or occasionally even lower, but typically stay above freezing.
Fall and spring are mild seasons in Seaside Park, with temperatures generally ranging from the 50s to the 70s Fahrenheit (around 10-25 Celsius). These seasons can be a great time to visit the area, as the crowds are smaller than during the peak summer months and the weather is generally pleasant.
The borough covers an area of 0.77 square miles (2.0 square kilometers), with around half of this area being land and the other half being water.
To the north of Seaside Park is the borough of Seaside Heights, and to the south is Island Beach State Park. The borough is connected to the mainland by the Thomas A. Mathis and J. Stanley Tunney Bridges, which cross over the Barnegat Bay.
Seaside Park's coastline stretches for about a mile along the Atlantic Ocean. The beach is wide and sandy, with dunes and sea grasses behind it. The area is prone to occasional flooding and storm surges, particularly during hurricanes and other severe weather events.
In addition to the beach, Seaside Park is home to several small parks and green spaces, including Marina Park, which offers a view of the Barnegat Bay, and the Sunset Park and Fishing Pier, which provides access to the bay for fishing and boating. The borough is also close to Island Beach State Park, which features miles of undeveloped beach, dunes, wetlands, and forests.