- Carroll College
- 1601 N Benton Ave. - Helena
- Montana 59625 - United States
- (800) 992-3648
Carroll College is a private, Catholic liberal arts college located in Helena, Montana, United States. It is the state's oldest college and has a rich history that dates back to its founding in 1909.
Carroll College was established by the second bishop of Helena, John Patrick Carroll, who envisioned a college that would provide a quality education rooted in Catholic values. The college was initially named Mount Saint Charles College and was affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church.
In its early years, Carroll College faced several challenges, including financial difficulties and a fire that destroyed its original building in 1911. Despite these setbacks, the college persevered and continued to grow. The construction of a new campus began in 1913, and the college's name was changed to Carroll College in honor of its founder, Bishop Carroll.
Over the decades, Carroll College expanded its academic programs and developed a strong reputation for its liberal arts curriculum. The college offers a wide range of undergraduate majors, including programs in the sciences, humanities, social sciences, business, and health sciences. It has also established graduate programs in various fields.
One notable aspect of Carroll College's history is its commitment to the Catholic intellectual tradition and the integration of faith and learning. The college emphasizes the development of the whole person and encourages students to explore questions of meaning, ethics, and social justice.
Carroll College has been recognized for its academic excellence and has consistently ranked among the top regional colleges in the Western United States by publications such as U.S. News & World Report. It is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
The college has a vibrant campus community and offers a range of extracurricular activities and organizations for students to engage in, including athletics, clubs, and service opportunities. The Carroll Saints, the college's athletic teams, compete in the Frontier Conference of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).
Today, Carroll College continues to provide a high-quality education while upholding its Catholic heritage. It remains an integral part of the Helena community and contributes to the intellectual, cultural, and social life of the region.
- Founding: Carroll College was founded in 1909 by Bishop John Patrick Carroll, the second bishop of Helena, Montana. It was initially named Mount Saint Charles College.
- Name Change: In 1913, the college's name was changed to Carroll College in honor of its founder, Bishop Carroll. The change was made to better reflect the college's mission and identity.
- Early Challenges: Carroll College faced significant challenges in its early years. A fire in 1911 destroyed the original building, resulting in the need for a new campus. Additionally, the college struggled with financial difficulties, but it persevered and continued to grow.
- Campus Development: Construction of a new campus for Carroll College began in 1913. The college's location in Helena, Montana, offers a picturesque setting with views of the Cathedral of St. Helena and the surrounding mountains.
- Catholic Identity: Carroll College has maintained its Catholic identity throughout its history. It is affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church and embraces the Catholic intellectual tradition, integrating faith and learning.
- Academic Programs: Over the years, Carroll College has expanded its academic offerings. It started as a small liberal arts college and has since developed a range of undergraduate programs in various fields. It also offers graduate programs in areas such as education, business, and health sciences.
- Accreditation: Carroll College is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. This accreditation ensures that the college meets certain academic standards and allows students to transfer credits and pursue further education.
- Recognition: Carroll College has been consistently recognized for its academic excellence. It has been ranked among the top regional colleges in the Western United States by publications like U.S. News & World Report.
- Campus Community: Carroll College fosters a vibrant campus community. It offers a wide range of extracurricular activities, including athletics, clubs, and service opportunities. The college's athletic teams, known as the Carroll Saints, compete in the Frontier Conference of the NAIA.
- Contributions to the Community: Carroll College has made significant contributions to the Helena community and beyond. It has educated generations of students who have gone on to serve their communities in various fields, including healthcare, education, business, and public service.
These historical facts provide a glimpse into the development and impact of Carroll College over the years, highlighting its commitment to education, Catholic values, and community engagement.
Carroll College offers a vibrant and engaging student life experience. Here are some aspects of student life:
- Campus Community: Carroll College has a close-knit campus community, where students have the opportunity to form lasting friendships and connections. The college promotes a supportive and inclusive environment that values diversity and encourages students to engage with one another.
- Residence Life: Many students choose to live on campus in one of the college's residence halls. Living on campus provides a unique opportunity to immerse oneself in the college experience, build relationships, and participate in various activities and events.
- Clubs and Organizations: Carroll College offers a wide range of clubs and organizations that cater to diverse interests. Whether it's academic clubs, cultural organizations, recreational groups, or service-oriented clubs, students have numerous options to pursue their passions and engage with like-minded individuals.
- Campus Events and Activities: The college organizes a variety of events and activities throughout the year to foster community spirit and provide entertainment and enrichment. These may include guest lectures, concerts, theater performances, film screenings, art exhibitions, and more. There are also traditional campus events such as Homecoming, Springfest, and various themed weeks.
- Student Government: Carroll College has a student government association that represents the interests and concerns of the student body. The student government plays a crucial role in planning and organizing campus-wide events, advocating for student needs, and facilitating communication between students and the college administration.
- Athletics: The Carroll Saints participate in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and offer a range of varsity sports for both men and women. Students have the opportunity to compete in sports like football, basketball, soccer, cross country, golf, track and field, and more. Sporting events often foster a strong sense of school spirit and provide opportunities for students to support their teams.
- Campus Ministry: As a Catholic institution, Carroll College has a robust campus ministry program that provides opportunities for spiritual growth, religious exploration, and service to others. The campus ministry organizes retreats, religious services, community service projects, and opportunities for reflection and discussion.
- Outdoor Recreation: Located in the scenic state of Montana, Carroll College offers easy access to various outdoor recreational activities. Students can enjoy hiking, skiing, snowboarding, fishing, camping, and other outdoor pursuits in the surrounding natural beauty.
- Service and Volunteerism: Carroll College encourages students to engage in community service and volunteerism. The college has a strong commitment to social justice and provides opportunities for students to contribute to the local community through service projects, volunteer work, and internships.
- Wellness and Support: Carroll College prioritizes student well-being and offers resources and support services to help students succeed academically, emotionally, and physically. These may include counseling services, health services, academic support, career counseling, and more.
Overall, student life at Carroll College offers a dynamic and enriching experience, fostering personal growth, social connections, and a sense of community engagement.
Carroll College is known for its strong academic programs and commitment to providing a high-quality education. Here are some key aspects of academics:
- Liberal Arts Education: Carroll College follows a liberal arts education approach, which emphasizes a well-rounded education that develops critical thinking, effective communication, and a broad knowledge base. The curriculum encourages students to explore multiple disciplines and fosters intellectual curiosity.
- Undergraduate Programs: Carroll College offers a range of undergraduate programs leading to Bachelor's degrees. Students can choose from various academic departments, including the sciences, humanities, social sciences, business, and health sciences. The college provides a solid foundation in general education requirements while allowing students to specialize in their chosen majors.
- Academic Departments: Carroll College has several academic departments, each dedicated to specific fields of study. Some of the departments include Biology, Chemistry, English, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, Business, Education, Health Sciences, and more. Each department is staffed with qualified faculty members who are committed to teaching and mentoring students.
- Faculty: Carroll College boasts a dedicated and accomplished faculty who are experts in their respective fields. The faculty members prioritize teaching and are accessible to students, providing personalized attention and guidance. Many faculty members are also involved in research and scholarship, offering opportunities for students to engage in research projects.
- Honors Program: Carroll College offers an Honors Program for academically talented and motivated students. The program provides an enriched academic experience with smaller class sizes, specialized coursework, and opportunities for independent research and creative projects.
- Study Abroad: Carroll College encourages students to broaden their horizons through study abroad experiences. The college offers various study abroad programs that allow students to immerse themselves in different cultures, gain global perspectives, and enhance their understanding of diverse societies.
- Internships and Experiential Learning: Carroll College emphasizes hands-on learning experiences and provides opportunities for internships, fieldwork, and experiential learning. These experiences allow students to apply their knowledge in real-world settings, gain practical skills, and make valuable connections in their chosen fields.
- Career Services: The college's career services department assists students in exploring career paths, developing job search strategies, and connecting with potential employers. They offer career counseling, resume building, interview preparation, and host career fairs and networking events.
- Academic Support: Carroll College provides resources to support student academic success. These resources may include tutoring services, writing centers, study groups, and academic advising. Students can access assistance tailored to their specific needs and receive guidance to help them excel in their coursework.
- Research Opportunities: Carroll College encourages undergraduate research and offers opportunities for students to engage in research projects alongside faculty members. This involvement in research allows students to develop critical thinking skills, gain hands-on experience, and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in their fields.
Carroll College's academic programs and support systems aim to provide students with a well-rounded education, critical thinking skills, and practical experiences that prepare them for successful careers and further education.
Carroll College has a picturesque and inviting campus. Here are some key features and facilities you can find on the campus:
- Campus Setting: The campus is nestled in the scenic surroundings of Helena, Montana, with views of the Cathedral of St. Helena and the nearby mountains. The natural beauty of the area adds to the pleasant atmosphere of the campus.
- Academic Buildings: The campus features several academic buildings where classes, laboratories, and faculty offices are located. These buildings house various departments and disciplines, providing students with access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources needed for their studies.
- Corette Library: The Corette Library is the main library on campus, offering a wide range of resources and services to support students' academic pursuits. It provides access to a vast collection of books, journals, online databases, and research materials. The library also offers study spaces, computer labs, and research assistance.
- Campus Center: The Campus Center serves as a hub for student activities and services. It houses the student union, dining facilities, a bookstore, meeting rooms, and common areas where students can socialize and relax. The Campus Center is a vibrant gathering place for students and fosters a sense of community on campus.
- Residence Halls: Carroll College offers on-campus housing in several residence halls. These halls provide a supportive and inclusive living environment for students, offering opportunities to connect with peers and participate in residential programs and activities.
- Athletics Facilities: The campus is equipped with sports facilities to support the Carroll Saints athletic programs. The facilities include a gymnasium, fitness center, outdoor sports fields, and tracks. These spaces allow students to engage in physical activities, participate in intramural sports, and support the college's athletic teams.
- Chapel: Reflecting its Catholic heritage, Carroll College has a chapel on campus. It serves as a place of worship, reflection, and spiritual gatherings for students, faculty, and staff.
- Outdoor Spaces: The campus features beautiful outdoor spaces that students can enjoy throughout the year. These spaces include courtyards, green areas, and walking paths, providing opportunities for relaxation, studying, and outdoor activities.
- Carroll College Campus Arboretum: The campus is home to an arboretum that showcases a diverse collection of trees, shrubs, and plants. It serves as an educational and recreational resource, allowing students to explore nature and learn about different species.
- Health and Wellness Center: Carroll College prioritizes the health and well-being of its students. The campus houses a health and wellness center that provides medical services, counseling, and wellness programs to support students' physical and mental well-being.
The Carroll College campus offers a welcoming and conducive environment for learning, community engagement, and personal growth. Its facilities and natural surroundings contribute to a holistic college experience for students.
Carroll College, known as the Carroll Saints, competes in intercollegiate athletics as a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA). Here's an overview of athletics:
- Sports Offered: Carroll College offers a variety of men's and women's sports programs. The college fields teams in sports such as football, basketball, soccer, cross country, golf, track and field, volleyball, softball, and tennis.
- Conference Affiliation: Carroll College is a member of the Frontier Conference within the NAIA. The Frontier Conference consists of several schools primarily located in Montana, Idaho, and Oregon. The conference provides a competitive platform for intercollegiate athletic competition.
- Athletic Success: Carroll College has a history of success in athletics. The college's teams have achieved numerous conference championships and have competed at the national level in various sports. The athletics program emphasizes skill development, teamwork, and sportsmanship.
- Facilities: Carroll College boasts quality athletic facilities to support its teams and provide a positive experience for student-athletes. The campus features a gymnasium for basketball and volleyball, outdoor fields and tracks for soccer and track and field, and a dedicated softball field, among other venues.
- Coaching Staff: The coaching staff at Carroll College is dedicated to the development and success of student-athletes. They provide coaching expertise, guidance, and support to help athletes excel both on and off the field.
- Student-Athlete Support: Carroll College prioritizes the well-being of its student-athletes. The college provides support services such as academic advising, tutoring, and access to athletic trainers. This support helps student-athletes balance their academic and athletic commitments.
- Student Involvement: The athletics program at Carroll College encourages student involvement and school spirit. Students, faculty, and the local community often come out to support the teams at home games, creating a lively and engaging atmosphere.
- Student-Athlete Scholarships: Carroll College offers athletic scholarships to support student-athletes in their pursuit of higher education and athletic endeavors. These scholarships are awarded based on talent, potential, and contributions to the team.
- Opportunities for Growth: Carroll College's athletic programs provide opportunities for student-athletes to develop their skills, compete at a high level, and grow as individuals. Participation in sports fosters discipline, leadership, teamwork, and time management skills.
- Sportsmanship and Values: Carroll College emphasizes the importance of sportsmanship, integrity, and the values of fair play. The athletics program instills a sense of character, responsibility, and respect in student-athletes, contributing to their overall development.
Carroll College's athletics program combines a commitment to athletic achievement with a focus on academic excellence and personal growth. The college provides a platform for student-athletes to excel both in their chosen sports and in their education, promoting a well-rounded college experience.