- Hotel Schneider Superior
- Brettsteinstraße 2
- 5562 Obertauern - Austria
- [email protected]
Obertauern is a popular ski resort town located in the Radstädter Tauern mountain range in the Austrian Alps. Its history is closely tied to its geographical location and the development of the region as a winter sports destination. Here is an overview of the history of Obertauern:
Early Settlements: The region around Obertauern has a history dating back to ancient times, with evidence of early settlements and mining activities. The Tauern Pass, a crucial trade route through the mountains, played a significant role in connecting different regions.
Development of Tourism: The modern history of Obertauern as a tourist destination began in the early 20th century. The town initially served as a pass-through for travelers and traders. With the rise of winter sports and the increasing popularity of skiing in the early 20th century, the area's potential as a skiing destination became evident.
Skiing and Tourism Boom: The first ski lifts were installed in Obertauern in the late 1940s and early 1950s, marking a turning point for the town. The development of infrastructure for winter sports, including ski lifts and accommodations, contributed to the growth of tourism in the region.
1960s – James Bond Connection: Obertauern gained international recognition in the 1960s when scenes from the James Bond film "The Sound of Music" were filmed there. This exposure helped attract more tourists to the resort.
Continued Growth: Over the years, Obertauern has continued to expand and modernize its facilities, becoming one of Austria's premier winter sports destinations. It offers a wide range of skiing and snowboarding opportunities, along with other winter activities.
Year-Round Destination: While initially known primarily for winter sports, Obertauern has evolved into a year-round destination. The surrounding mountains provide opportunities for hiking and other outdoor activities during the warmer months.
Cultural and Recreational Events: The town hosts various cultural and recreational events, attracting visitors throughout the year. These events contribute to the vibrant atmosphere and help sustain the local economy.
Overall, Obertauern's history reflects its transformation from a traditional Alpine pass-through to a world-renowned winter sports and tourism destination. Its scenic landscapes, coupled with a commitment to providing modern amenities, have made it a popular choice for those seeking an alpine experience in Austria.
Top Tourist Attractions
Obertauern is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning alpine landscapes and excellent winter sports facilities. Here are some of the top tourist attractions in Obertauern:
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Obertauern is renowned for its excellent skiing and snowboarding conditions. The resort boasts a variety of slopes for all skill levels, making it a favorite among winter sports enthusiasts.
- Tauernrunde: The Tauernrunde is a famous ski circuit that takes you on a tour around the entire Obertauern ski area. It offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and is a must-do for avid skiers.
- Grunwaldkopf: This is one of the highest points in Obertauern, providing panoramic views of the alpine landscape. It's accessible by lifts and is a great spot for both skiing and enjoying the scenery.
- Latschur: Latschur is a high-altitude plateau with stunning views and a serene atmosphere. It's a peaceful place for hiking and enjoying the natural beauty of the Alps.
- Edelweissbahn: This ski lift takes you to the Gamsleiten 2, one of the steepest groomed slopes in Europe. It's a thrilling experience for advanced skiers and snowboarders.
- Apres-Ski Scene: Obertauern has a lively après-ski scene with numerous bars, pubs, and restaurants where visitors can unwind after a day on the slopes. The town comes alive with music and entertainment during the winter season.
- James Bond 007 Elements: This cinematic installation is located on the Gaislachkogl mountain and showcases the creative process behind the James Bond films. It provides an immersive experience for fans of the iconic movie series.
- Hiking and Nature Trails: In the warmer months, Obertauern offers a network of hiking and nature trails. The surrounding mountains and meadows provide a beautiful backdrop for outdoor activities.
- Tauernkarleiten Alm: This alpine pasture is accessible by foot or with a lift and offers a tranquil setting for hikers and nature lovers. It's a great place to enjoy the local flora and fauna.
- Tauern Spa World: If you're looking for relaxation, the Tauern Spa in Kaprun, a short drive from Obertauern, offers wellness facilities, pools, and saunas with stunning mountain views.
Whether you're a winter sports enthusiast or someone seeking the beauty of the Alps in a different season, Obertauern has a diverse range of attractions to offer.
Obertauern experiences a mountain climate with distinct seasons. The weather is influenced by the altitude and the alpine environment. Here is an overview of the climate in Obertauern:
- Winter (December to February): Winter is the peak season for Obertauern, known for its excellent skiing conditions. Average daytime temperatures during this period range from -2°C to -6°C (28°F to 21°F), but temperatures can drop lower, especially at higher elevations. Heavy snowfall is common, creating ideal conditions for winter sports. The snow season typically lasts from November to April.
- Spring (March to May): Spring marks the transition from winter to a milder climate. Daytime temperatures start to rise, ranging from 1°C to 8°C (34°F to 46°F). However, nights can still be chilly. Spring is a good time for late-season skiing and other outdoor activities as the snow begins to melt.
- Summer (June to August): Summer in Obertauern is relatively short but offers pleasant weather for outdoor activities. Daytime temperatures range from 10°C to 20°C (50°F to 68°F), making it a comfortable time for hiking, biking, and other summer sports. The alpine meadows come alive with colorful wildflowers during this season.
- Autumn (September to November): Autumn brings cooler temperatures and the beginning of the transition to winter. Daytime temperatures range from 5°C to 12°C (41°F to 54°F), and nights become cooler. Fall is a quieter time in Obertauern, but it's a great season to enjoy the changing colors of the landscape.
- Overall Climate Notes: The climate in Obertauern can be unpredictable, with weather conditions varying based on altitude and mountainous terrain. Due to its high elevation, temperatures can drop rapidly, especially in the evenings, even during the summer months. Visitors should be prepared for sudden changes in weather, and proper clothing is essential, especially in winter.
Obertauern's climate is ideal for winter sports enthusiasts during the snowy season, while the summer months provide a picturesque backdrop for outdoor activities. Travelers should plan their visit based on their preferred activities and the seasonal climate they find most appealing.
- Obertauern is situated in the Salzburgerland region of Austria, in the southern part of the state of Salzburg.
- It lies in a high mountain valley surrounded by peaks of the Radstädter Tauern, part of the Central Eastern Alps.
- The town itself is located at an elevation of approximately 1,740 meters (5,710 feet) above sea level, making it one of the highest ski resorts in Austria.
- The Radstädter Tauern is a subrange of the larger Tauern mountain range, known for its rugged alpine terrain and stunning landscapes.
- Obertauern is historically significant due to its location at the Tauern Pass, a crucial mountain pass that has served as a trade and travel route for centuries. The Tauern Pass connects the Pongau region to the north with the Lungau region to the south.
- The region around Obertauern features alpine meadows, high-altitude lakes, and a variety of flora and fauna, creating a scenic and natural environment.
- The high elevation of Obertauern ensures a reliable snow cover during the winter months, making it an ideal location for winter sports. Some of the higher peaks in the area may also have snowfields and glaciers.
- Several rivers and streams originate in the mountains surrounding Obertauern. These waterways contribute to the overall hydrology of the region.
- The town is easily accessible by road, and it is a popular destination for both winter and summer tourism. The Tauern Autobahn (A10) is a major highway that passes near Obertauern, providing convenient access.
- The ski resort of Obertauern covers a vast area with numerous ski slopes, offering a variety of terrains for skiers and snowboarders. The ski lifts and cable cars provide access to different parts of the skiing area.
The geographical features of Obertauern contribute to its appeal as a year-round destination, offering not only winter sports but also a beautiful alpine environment for hiking, nature exploration, and other outdoor activities.