- Jeanne's Flying Service
- Independence State Airport
- 4917 Airport Road - Independence
- Oregon 97351 - United States
Independence is a small city located in the Willamette Valley, approximately 15 miles southwest of Salem, the state capital. The city was founded in 1847 by pioneers who settled in the area. It was initially named "Polk," in honor of President James K. Polk, but the name was changed to "Independence" in 1852, inspired by the Fourth of July celebrations held in the town.
The early settlers in Independence were primarily farmers, attracted to the fertile soil of the Willamette Valley. Agriculture has played a significant role in the city's economy throughout its history. Crops such as wheat, corn, hops, and fruits have been cultivated in the region, contributing to the local economy and the growth of the community.
In the late 19th century, Independence saw rapid development due to the arrival of the Oregon Pacific Railroad in 1887. The railroad facilitated transportation of goods and people, leading to increased trade and industrial activities. The town grew as new businesses were established, including sawmills, flour mills, and canneries.
Independence also played a role in the timber industry during the early 20th century. The surrounding forests provided a valuable resource, and logging operations were a significant part of the local economy. However, with the decline of the timber industry in the latter half of the 20th century, Independence transitioned to become more of a residential and service-oriented community.
Today, Independence retains its small-town charm while embracing modern developments. The city has a population of over 9,000 people and offers amenities such as parks, schools, and a vibrant downtown area. It is also known for its annual Fourth of July celebration, attracting visitors from nearby communities.
Independence State Airport (7S5)
Independence State Airport (7S5) is a small public airport located near Independence, Oregon, in Polk County. Here's some information about the airport:
- Location: Independence State Airport is situated approximately 4 miles southwest of the city of Independence, Oregon. It is nestled in the picturesque Willamette Valley, known for its scenic beauty and agricultural landscapes.
- Facilities: The airport features a single asphalt runway designated as 16/34. The runway is approximately 2,150 feet in length and 60 feet wide. It is suitable for smaller aircraft and primarily serves general aviation purposes.
- Operations: Independence State Airport is classified as a public-use airport. It caters to a range of aviation activities, including private and recreational flying, flight training, and local aircraft operations. The airport serves as a convenient hub for pilots and aviation enthusiasts in the region.
- Services: While Independence State Airport is a smaller facility, it offers essential services to support aviation operations. These may include fuel services, aircraft parking, tie-downs, and basic maintenance facilities. It's advisable to check with the airport administration or local resources for the specific services available at the airport.
- Recreational Opportunities: Due to its location in the scenic Willamette Valley, Independence State Airport provides opportunities for aviation enthusiasts to enjoy scenic flights and experience the natural beauty of the region from the air. The surrounding area offers outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, and exploring the nearby Willamette River.