Enjoying the Toms River and Barnegat Bay
Enjoying boating on the bay, either leisure cruising or sailboat racing
- Island Heights Yacht Club
- 65 River Avenue - P.O. Box 721
- (732) 929-9813
Island Heights is a borough located in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. The area that is now Island Heights was originally inhabited by the Lenni Lenape Native Americans. The borough was incorporated on May 6, 1887, and named for its location on a bluff overlooking Toms River, giving the impression of an island.
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Island Heights was a popular vacation destination for people from Philadelphia and New York City. The town was known for its large Victorian homes and hotels, as well as its beautiful waterfront location. The Island Heights Yacht Club was founded in 1888 and has hosted many sailing races and regattas over the years.
In the early 1900s, Island Heights was also home to a large Methodist camp meeting, which drew thousands of visitors each year. The camp meeting grounds included a large auditorium, several hotels, and numerous cottages.
During World War II, Island Heights played an important role in the war effort as a training ground for Naval personnel. The area was used for amphibious training exercises, and many of the town's residents were employed in support of the war effort.
Today, Island Heights is a quiet residential community, known for its tree-lined streets, historic homes, and waterfront parks. The borough has a population of around 1,600 people and is home to several community events throughout the year, including an annual Halloween parade and a summer concert series.
Island Heights Top Tourist Attractions
Island Heights, New Jersey is a small, quaint borough located along the Toms River. While it is primarily a residential community, there are several tourist attractions in and around the area that visitors can enjoy. Here are some of the top tourist attractions in Island Heights:
- Island Heights Boardwalk: The boardwalk is a great place to take a stroll or bike ride along the Toms River. It offers scenic views of the river and is a popular spot for fishing.
- Island Heights Yacht Club: The Yacht Club, founded in 1888, is one of the oldest and most prestigious yacht clubs in New Jersey. It is known for its racing events and regattas and is a great place to watch sailboats race along the Toms River.
- Ocean County Artists' Guild: The guild is a nonprofit organization that promotes the arts in Ocean County. It hosts art exhibitions and classes and is a great place to discover local artists and their work.
- River Lady: The River Lady is a replica of a 19th-century paddlewheel boat that offers sightseeing tours along the Toms River. It's a great way to see the area from the water and learn about the history of the region.
- Island Heights Beach: The beach is small but offers a great view of the Toms River. It's a great spot to relax and enjoy the scenery.
- Island Heights Cultural and Heritage Association: The association is dedicated to preserving and promoting the history and culture of Island Heights. It offers walking tours of the historic district and hosts various events throughout the year.
- Double Trouble State Park: Located just a short drive from Island Heights, Double Trouble State Park is a great place to hike, bike, fish, and explore the Pine Barrens. The park is home to a historic cranberry bog and offers several trails for visitors to enjoy.
Island Heights Climate
Island Heights, New Jersey, has a humid subtropical climate characterized by hot summers, mild winters, and high humidity throughout the year. The borough experiences four distinct seasons, with a wide range of temperatures throughout the year.
Summer months, from June to August, are the hottest and most humid, with average high temperatures in the mid to upper 80s °F (30°C). Nighttime temperatures during this time are typically in the 60s °F (15-20°C). Thunderstorms and occasional tropical storms and hurricanes can occur during this period.
Fall months, from September to November, are typically mild, with temperatures gradually cooling down from the summer highs. Average high temperatures in the fall are in the 60s to low 70s °F (15-22°C), while nighttime temperatures are usually in the 40s to 50s °F (5-15°C).
Winter months, from December to February, are usually mild but can occasionally experience cold snaps. Average high temperatures during the winter are in the 40s to low 50s °F (4-10°C), while nighttime temperatures can drop to below freezing.
Spring months, from March to May, are mild with temperatures gradually warming up from the winter lows. Average high temperatures in the spring are in the 50s to low 70s °F (10-22°C), while nighttime temperatures are typically in the 40s to 50s °F (5-15°C).
Overall, Island Heights has a mild climate that is enjoyable throughout the year. However, visitors should be prepared for high humidity levels during the summer months and occasional storms and hurricanes.
Island Heights Geography
Island Heights is a small borough located in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. The borough is situated along the Toms River, a tidal estuary that flows into the Barnegat Bay and eventually into the Atlantic Ocean.
Island Heights has a total area of approximately 0.4 square miles (1.1 square kilometers), of which about 0.3 square miles (0.8 square kilometers) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 square kilometers) is water.
The borough is situated on a bluff overlooking the Toms River, giving the impression of an island. The topography of the area is characterized by gentle slopes and rolling hills, with an average elevation of about 26 feet (7.9 meters) above sea level.
Island Heights is located approximately 60 miles (96 kilometers) east of Philadelphia and 70 miles (113 kilometers) south of New York City. It is bordered by Toms River to the north, the Barnegat Bay to the east, and Dover Township to the south and west.
Overall, Island Heights is a scenic and picturesque borough with a beautiful waterfront location along the Toms River. The topography of the area is relatively flat, with gentle hills and slopes that offer great views of the surrounding landscape.