- Mt. Pleasant Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
- 113 W Broadway, Suite 180 - Mt. Pleasant
- Michigan 48858 - United States
- (888) 772-2007
Mt. Pleasant is a city located in the central part of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, United States. The area that now encompasses Mt. Pleasant was originally inhabited by the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe, who called it "Ojibiway Misiji" or "The Place of the Dog". The first European settlement in the area was established in 1831 by missionaries and traders, and in 1859 the community was officially named Mt. Pleasant.
During the 19th century, Mt. Pleasant grew slowly but steadily, with a focus on agriculture and small-scale industry. In 1892, the Central Michigan Normal School was established in Mt. Pleasant, which would later become Central Michigan University. The presence of the university brought new residents and economic growth to the city.
In the early 20th century, Mt. Pleasant continued to grow and modernize. The city became an important transportation hub with the construction of railroads and highways, and new industries such as lumber, oil, and gas emerged. In the 1920s, Mt. Pleasant became known for its oil boom, with several oil fields being discovered in the surrounding area.
During World War II, Mt. Pleasant played a role in the war effort by producing materials for the military. After the war, the city experienced a postwar boom and saw the construction of new homes, businesses, and public facilities. In the 1960s and 1970s, Mt. Pleasant became known as a center for counterculture and progressive politics, with a thriving music scene and a strong community of activists and artists.
Today, Mt. Pleasant is a diverse and thriving community with a population of around 26,000. The city is home to Central Michigan University, which is one of the largest employers in the region, and is also known for its vibrant downtown area, cultural events, and recreational opportunities.
Top Tourist Attractions
- Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort: This is one of the largest casinos in Michigan, offering gaming, entertainment, dining, and accommodations.
- Ziibiwing Center of Anishinabe Culture & Lifeways: This museum and cultural center celebrates the heritage of the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe and the Anishinabe people of the Great Lakes region.
- Chippewa River: The river runs through the heart of Mt. Pleasant and offers opportunities for fishing, kayaking, and scenic walks.
- Mt. Pleasant Discovery Museum: This interactive children's museum offers hands-on exhibits and activities for kids of all ages.
- Nelson Park: This park offers a playground, picnic areas, sports fields, and a paved walking trail.
- Central Michigan University: Visitors can explore the campus of this public research university, which offers museums, art galleries, and performances throughout the year.
- Deerfield Nature Park: This park features hiking trails, a fishing pond, and a nature center with educational exhibits and programs.
- Mt. Pleasant Farmers' Market: This outdoor market offers fresh produce, baked goods, and crafts from local vendors.
- Mt. Pleasant Speedway: This dirt track hosts auto racing events throughout the summer.
- Historic Downtown Mt. Pleasant: Visitors can stroll through the charming downtown area, which features shops, restaurants, and historic buildings.
Mt. Pleasant has a humid continental climate, with warm summers and cold winters. The city experiences all four seasons, with an average annual temperature of 46°F (8°C). The warmest month is July, with an average high temperature of 81°F (27°C), while the coldest month is January, with an average low temperature of 13°F (-11°C).
Mt. Pleasant also receives a moderate amount of precipitation throughout the year, with an average of 33 inches (84 cm) of snowfall annually. The wettest months are typically May and June, while the driest months are February and March.
It's important to note that weather patterns can vary from year to year, and extreme weather events such as thunderstorms, tornadoes, and blizzards can occur in Mt. Pleasant. Visitors should always check the local weather forecast and dress appropriately for the season.
Mt. Pleasant is located in the central part of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, United States. The city is situated in Isabella County and covers an area of 7.83 square miles (20.27 km²).
Mt. Pleasant is located near the Chippewa River, which runs through the city from west to east. The surrounding area is primarily rural, with farmland, forests, and lakes. The city is located approximately 60 miles (97 km) north of the state capital of Lansing and 120 miles (193 km) northwest of Detroit.
The terrain in and around Mt. Pleasant is relatively flat, with a few low hills and ridges in the vicinity. The elevation of the city ranges from around 750 feet (229 meters) above sea level in the river valley to around 950 feet (290 meters) in the upland areas to the north and east.