Other Live Webcams:
- Oregon Inlet Fishing Center
- 8770 Oregon Inlet Rd - Nags Head
- North Carolina 27959 - United State
- (800) 272-5199
The weather has been beautiful and the fishing has been better than the weather! Large Yellowfin Tuna are North of Oregon Inlet and lots of Dolphin (or Mahi Mahi) are being caught in the South. Dolphin sizes range from "bailers" to "gaffers".
Another plus has been our intermediate trips for Cobia. They are being caught along with Spanish Mackerel, King Mackerel and Taylor Blues. The Miss Oregon Inlet (head boat) is having a good season on taylor blues and grey trout and have caught some flounders. The piers have been catching taylor blues, spots, some grey trout, sand perch, pig fish and croakers.
The areas immediately surrounding Oregon Inlet are filled with wrecks dating back centuries. Many of these wrecks and other artificial reefs act as excellent fishing grounds and are frequently visited by Oregon Inlet charter captains.
North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island is operated by the NC Department of Environment, Health and Natural Resources. Sister Aquariums are located at Pine Knoll Shores and Fort Fisher. The Roanoke Island facility is located three miles north of Manteo on Airport Road. It is adjacent to the Dare County Regional Airport and overlooks the Croatan Sound.
Built in 1870 and standing 208 feet tall, the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse opened to visitors in the summer of 1993 for the first time in almost 10 years. That summer over 150,000 people climbed the 248 spiral steps to reach the cast iron balcony and enjoy the breathtaking view of this narrow strip of sand called Hatteras Island. Composed of dunes, dense salt marshes, freshwater swales and one of the most pristine maritime forests remaining on the East Coast, Hatteras is the destination for vacationers in search of fishing, windsurfing, birdwatching or total relaxation and beachcombing.
Like the lighthouse, time and the perils of weather have only made this remote island and its residents more alluring. Already hammered by three major storms packing winds over 70 knots during the last few years, Hatteras felt the effects of being 30 miles at sea when Hurricane Emily roared by on the afternoon of August 31, 1993. Designated the worst hurricane of this century at Hatteras, Emily rearranged buildings, habitat and lives.
Anyone who has spent time on this island knows that the wind that howls today will become tomorrow's warm gentle breeze. The enchantment compels residents to remain and visitors to return.
The US Lifesaving Service, the predecessor of today's US Coast Guard, knew that Mother Nature was fickle. The history of shipwrecks on this coast known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic and the heroism of the rescue crews is preserved and on display in Chicamacomico Lifesaving Station. The station and grounds are now restored and open to the public.
Rich in history, scenic beauty and offering diverse recreation opportunities, Hatteras will be preserved for generations to come by the guardsmanship of the National Park Service. This entire oceanfront is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore and as such will remain a national treasure for all to enjoy.
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse was authorized by US congress on May 13,1794. It was originally 90 feet tall and built in an octagonal shape. The stone foundation sunk 13 feet below the water table and on top was a 10 foot high oil lantern covered by a 5 foot 9 inch dome. When completed in 1802, the total height was 120 feet!
Congress gave $15,000 for a new lens and it was completed in 1854. Later on, the Civil War destroyed it. In order to repair it, a temporary lens was installed in 1852. In 1863, a new light was finally installed. After the war, there was some concern about the wooden stairs being a fire hazard. It took $20,000 to install new iron stairs. Then, Congress decided to build a new lighthouse.
The new lighthouse's construction began in November of 1868. It was 180 feet tall and made of brick. By the end of the year, houses, a blacksmith shop, and wharves were built around the lighthouse. The new site was 600 feet northeast of the old one. The new lighthouse's new height was a total of 208 feet and 268 steps.
It was first illuminated on December 16,1870. Shortly after, the old tower was blown up. The new tower was struck by lightning in 1879 and cracks began to appear. There was a metal rod installed and there were no further problems.
The new lighthouse was painted black and white spiral. It has a 30 inch duplex rotating beacon. The light is visible 20 miles in clear weather, however, it was once spotted 51 miles out from sea.
Many notorious pirates operated off the coast of North Carolina between 1713 and 1718. Some of which were Captain Pain, Christopher Moody, John Cole. Robert Deal. Charles Vane, Richard Wonley, "Calico Jack"Rackam, Anne Bonny and Francis Farrington. Blackbeard didn't turn to piracy until 1716. By the Spring of 1718, when he moved to the Carolina Banks. He had gotten a fleet of 4 vessels manned by 400 pirates. These pirates ended up capturing at least 25 ships of its opposing force. Out of those they sank 2 vessels and marooned 17 troublesome pirates on uninhabited Outer Banks, to keep his own wealth.
The Governor of Virginia attacked because Blackbeard raided ships of cargo. Blackbeard was outnumbered 2 to 1 in vessels and manpower. However, he did have an advantage. He had 8 guns, the others didn't. Blackbeard struck a shoal and got stuck. The pirates waited until two vessels came together and they threw grenades.As they exploded, they swarmed aboard, eager to compete to kill. Blackbeard was stabbed, shot,etc. 27 times before he died. It was then that the pirates surrendered. The pirates had 9 killed and 15 captured and the governor had 8 killed and 8 wounded. On November 22, 1718, Blackbeard died. They hung his head from the bowsprit and returned home.
The Oregon Inlet used to not have a bridge, so people took a ferry to get across it. It started in 1924. Back then, it was under private ownership. In 1941, the state of North Carolina took it over . The Herbert C. Bonner bridge was made in 1963, and named after a U.S congressman from North Carolina. A section of the bridge was knocked down by a passing barge in October of 1992. People had to take a ferry to cross the Inlet until the section could be rebuilt. There are still two ferry docks on each side of the bridge where the ferry was once run. You can go fishing off the south side of the bridge if you want to. There is a parking area on the south side of the bridge also. On the north side of the bridge there is a fishing center.
In 1993 there was a storm. During that storm, the boats rose up on the docks.This is sometimes referred to as the March Storm because it was in March. The Miss Oregon Inlet is the oldest boat still there. Across from the fishing center there is a wide opening through which you can drive to the beach. Beside the opening is a campground. You can either take a motor home to the campground or you can pitch a tent. All of these things have been here for a long time and hopefully they can be here for an even longer time.
Chicamacomico: A Testimony of Heritage
The Chicamacomico complex is located near Rodanthe on Hatteras Island and is open to the public three days a week from May to September. The main station, and the building nearest the highway, the Fearing Shipwreck Exhibit, are now museums. The 1874 station, located at the back of the property, houses the 1046 lifeboat used in the Mirlo rescue and other lifesaving equipment.
Chicamacomico is funded through grants, both government and private, sales in the gift shop, and donations from the public. Each year more restoration work is completed and more areas are opened. With continued support, we hope one day to have the entire site restored.
The Elizabeth II - A North Carolina Maritime Historic Site
Exhibits at the visitor center describe motives for early exploration, shipboard life and the lives of Native Americans encountered by Englishmen over 400 years ago. An automated slide show depicts the hardship and adventure of a sea voyage in the 16th century and serves as an orientation for guided tours of the Elizabeth II.
From early June through mid-August living history interpreters re-create a day aboard the original Elizabeth as she rode at anchor off the Outer Banks in the summer of 1585 sending men and supplies ashore in small boats to establish a military settlement. A reconstructed camp in the forest nearby portrays the first days in this strange new land for these adventurers. After their return to England about ten months later a second group of settlers arrived in 1587 only to disappear from history in the unsolved mystery of "The Lost Colony".
A working vessel, Elizabeth II is sailed to other ports along the Atlantic coast in the autumn and spring by a volunteer crew. On these voyages she may be accompanied by the Silver Chalice, a twenty-four foot representation of the ship's boats used to transport early colonists and their cargo across the shallow and treacherous waters surrounding Roanoke Island.
The Elizabeth II is open year round. Admission charges are required for guided tours and the summer living history program. Exhibits are located adjacent to the Outer Banks History Center - a regional library featuring an important collection of manuscripts, photographs and other information about the Outer Banks and coastal North Carolina.
Assisting the Wright Brothers
Will Dough assisted the Wright Brothers with the construction of their 1911 machine. He lived on the north end of Roanoke Island (near Manteo) and was the grandfather of Ms. Lizzette Headly Daniels. Ms. Daniels grew up in her grandfather's house and currently resides in Wanchese. Words cannot properly express our deep appreciation to Ms. Daniels for her generosity in allowing us to share this family treasure with visitors to the North Carolina's Outer Banks homepage.