Other Live Webcams:
- Pleasant Beach Hotel
- 14477 Fancher Ave - Sterling
- New York 13156 - United States
- [email protected]
Come by boat and use our deep-water docks. Just two nautical miles from Little Sodus Bay Channel in Fair Haven, we welcome watercraft of all sizes, including sailboats. Overlooking Little Sodus Bay, Pleasant Beach offers complete facilities for any style gathering including wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, bridal showers, and luncheons.
Pleasant Beach has two private rooms on the second floor that can each accommodate up to 40 people, for that intimate party or business meeting. Choose the upstairs balcony for a more relaxed atmosphere.
Our main dining area and large first floor open deck may also be reserved for your special event. Pleasant Beach is located on the harbor just two nautical miles from Little Sodus Bay in Fair Haven, New York. Come by boat or by car and we will treat you to an unforgettable event.
Cayuga County Historian's Now and Then
Now: The Citizen has issued $5,000 notes to collect and 'spend' for merchandise - a reward for buying or subscribing to the newspaper.
Then: The village of Auburn was incorporated on April 18, 1815. The Legislative act made them a legal entity - entitled to raise funds to improve streets and provide fire protection. The first village elections selected the president of Auburn - Joseph Colt. In lieu of taxes, the village sold subscriptions in the above amounts. These subscriptions were issued on May 18, 1815 from the Corporation of the Village of Auburn which promised to pay to the bearer on demand at the office of the president. These were essentially 'shares' for the village of Auburn and devised so that many could have ownership in their village.
Now: Deauville Island (name changed in 1935 by owner Edward F. Brayer) has a bathhouse and stand. The lawns are beautifully kept making an inviting area to picnic and enjoy this county treasure.
Then: The Island Park Hotel was taken from the 1921 publication "Souvenir of the Finger Lakes Region" published by the Cayuga County News Company. When you get there you can have a good time by bathing, boating or canoeing. If you want to dance, we have two nice dance halls where you can enjoy yourself. Also a miniature railroad for the kiddies. Parking places for your car. Come and make yourself at home for you are cordially invited to visit this place, where you can have board by the day or week and the prices are within your means."
Now: The 1954 addition, with slight changes, is the structure now called the Emily Howland Elementary School, and is a part of the Southern Cayuga Central School District. (That consolidation occurred in 1964.) Currently, the building houses Kindergarten through fourth grade students.
Then: The building and the land on which it was built were donated by Miss Emily Howland of Sherwood to house the school started by Hepsibeth Hussey in 1871 in a house about a half mile south of the new building. A newspaper clipping at the time stated: “The school is the finest structure of its kind outside the cities anywhere in New York State.
The private high school, called Sherwood Select School, opened in January, 1883, with between fifty-five and sixty students attending. Tuition was $10 per term. There were four teachers, including Hepsibeth Hussey, who was also principal. The curriculum focused on College Preparatory courses, graduates attending colleges and universities such as Cornell. In 1898, there were three graduates: Charles H. Koon, Herbert H. Lyon, and Ashton M. Otis.
In 1926, the school became a public school—Emily Howland Central School, later Sherwood Central School. Additions were built in 1926, 1936, and 1948. The school continued to grow, both in enrollment, and in course offerings. In 1954, a major addition was completed, and the original 1883 building, which was in front of (west of) the present building, was torn down.
Now: The Sunoco Station stands on the corner of Owasco and Genesee.
Then: By January 30, 1925 the storm had abated and digging out was continuing. This trolley came to a halt at the corner of Owasco and Genesee with the First Baptist Church in the background. The poster on the trolley is for the Jefferson Theater presenting Keith Vaudeville. (The Jefferson Theater was at 61 State Street.) B.F. Keith was one of the formost vaudeville promotors in the country - his 'polite vaudeville' standards "eliminated vulgarity and suggestiveness in words, action and costume" in all acts at the height of vaudeville success in 1900. By 1925, the Keith circuit had merged vaudeville with motion pictures.
Now: The former Port Byron Central School building is now Church Street Apartments. Many of the stately pine trees were planted and dedicated to Port Byron teachers. The former classrooms have been beautifully renovated into one and two bedroom apartments for senior citizens, disabled residents and income eligible families.
Then: The first school on this site was the Port Byron Academy. The Academy was built in 1858 at a cost of $10,850. Village students attended freely but students from outside the village were charged $4 per term (in the 1890's the term tuition was increased to $5). The school year consisted of three terms. The school was a three storied brick building on one and one half acres on Church Street. Boys and girls had separate entrances. The first floor had two rooms and served grades 1-4, the second floor grades five through eight and the top floor for high school students. The third floor had two study halls, a recitation room and a small library. The high school courses were similar to a Junior College. The Language and Literature curriculum offered 3 years of German and French, Caesar's Comment, Cicero's Orations, Ovid Metamorphoses, Virgil, Xenophon, Homer and Greek. Certificates were: Law Student, Medical Student, Junior, Academic, English, Classical and Advanced. The 2004 Port Byron Canal Days committee will be highlighting our school during this summer's celebration. A booklet is being published of school history and memories.
Now: The whole block has dramatically changed, East Genesee Street offices and businesses contain Cole Muffler and Goodyear tires.
Then: Old Home Week was celebrated with many parades from June 24-29, 1906. Businesses on the Whiting Block seen behind this wonderful group of children during the school parade are: Purple Stamp Trading Company at #29, on the second floor Dr. Susan G. Otis had her office, Francis Sebold, piano finisher, and the residence of Elizabeth Kennedy. At 291/2 on the second floor lived Herbert A. Morgan who managed the sales department at CR Egbert, Humphrey H. Barber a clerk at the Osborne Co. and William Hatch on the fourth floor. Eugene A. Miltmore was the proprietor of the New National Hotel at #31 East Genesee which also held the newsroom of Frank Richards and Harry Kerslake's plumbing businesses.
Residents of the New National Hotel included: William and Eliza Wade (he worked at Osborne, she was a button operator), Nellie, Clara and Laura (student at Williams Business College) Hollans, William P. Welch (mill operator) and George W. Allen, a prison guard on the second floor; on the third floor were photographer William Claudius, Howard and Lavinia DaRatt, Charles (carpenter) and Emma (bookkeeper) Raymond, and George C. Bodine who was an employee of A & S Ry. Henry Collins operated a barbershop in the basement. Signor's Drug Store at 33 E. Genesee also carried newspapers and periodicals, Thomas Jones who worked at a meat market lived on the second floor as did Mrs. Helen VanNess; Robert W. Aiken who was employed at the New National Livery was on the 3rd floor. At #35 Henry Herrling was the owner of the Enterprise Market featuring meats, fish, game and poultry, an accountant Legrand L. Aldrich lived on the second floor and Mark I. Koon, a carpenter on the 3rd.
The last building that can be seen in the photo contained Ernest Crandall's grocery with Mrs. Elizabeth Barnes on the 2nd floor and delivery clerk Warren B. Houghten on the third.
Now: On our first very warm Central New York day, it seems long ago that our temperatures were record lows rather than record highs. Genesee Street shimmered with at close to 85 degrees and very high humidity.
Then: Second in our series of photos from the Blizzard of 1925. From the pages of the Advertiser-Journal on Thursday, January 29, 1925 - Road Officials Shorten Confab As Snow Falls: Town highway superintendents who gathered in Auburn this afternoon had a practical demonstration of snow removal on county roads, the principal subject for discussion. The "supers" went to the Grand Theater, where they watched snow removal pictures, while outside the snow fell in whirling heaps of white threatening to tie up traffic completely. Before the meeting opened some of the roads were so badly blocked that several of the superintendents were unable to attend. (Photo provided by Mr. James Moore).
Now: This professional building houses Dr. Patrick J. Buttarazzi's offices; attorneys Thomas Leone, John Rossi, Thomas G. Leone, George J. Shayler, James Leone, Cynthia B. Brennen and surveyor Richard W. Wheeling.
Then: This lovely home at 39 William Street belonged to George and Sarah Harbottle. Their daughter Cornelia married Edward H. Thomson on June 5, 1878. Edward Thomson was a partner with Knapp, Peck and Thomson, publishers of the Auburn Daily Advertiser. He was also an alderman of the 9th ward in 1890 and in 1903 chairman of the Cayuga County Republican Committee. Sarah Harbottle lived with her daughter and son-in-law for many years at this site. In 1910 the property was purchased by E.D. Melcalf. Harold Metcalf and his family resided at this address while he rose from General Manager of Colombian Rope (1920) to President (1930) to Chairman (1950 - 70). In 1972 he was listed as Honorary Chairman and in 1973 the property was sold for professional offices.
Now: Across from the Exchange Street Sidewalk Mall is: Dadabbo's Pizza, New China Royal, Adeco Employment, Silbert Optical, and the office building at 95 Genesee St. where you can find a branch of Cayuga County Health and Human Services, the Center for Dispute Settlement and the offices of attorney Norman Chirco.
Then: (photo courtesy of James Moore): "Dr. Johnson's car corner Exchange and Genesee St. Jan." This snowstorm was January 29 and 30 of 1925. Storefronts pictured are at #99 Irving S. Colwell, bookseller ground floor, Emanuel Bronner, loans on the second floor and Fred G. Crofoot lived on the third. Varlan and Mehas Confectionery was at #101, on the second floor was the Cayuga County Chapter of the American Red Cross with Mrs. Elizabeth Watson as the nurse .and the residence of Mrs. Riria Day. The F.W. Woolworth 5 & 10 Store occupied #103-105 with Jeffrey's Garment Shop on the second floor. Liverman and Levy Department Store was at #107 and The Charles H. Sagar Co. druggist at #109 with Dr. S. Walton Day, physician/surgeon and tailor Fred E. Beck sharing the 2nd floor. Incidentallly, Dr. Johnson's office was at 156 Genesee, it must have taken a couple of days to shovel his car from the snowpile.
The Auburn Daily Advertiser's two inch headlines proclaimed: WHOLE STATE BURIED UNDER HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IN DECADES; MANY ACCIDENTS; BLIZZARD PARALYZES TRAFFIC ON RAILROADS AND HIGHWAYS; CLOSES SCHOOLS IN CITY, RURAL DISTRICTS. The editorial on the 30th said in part:
"A shovel is a puny instrument in the face of this display of nature's omnipotence." Thanks to the generosity of Mr. Moore we have several photographs of this storm that we will be sharing in the next few weeks.