The SkyWheel Myrtle Beach is a giant Ferris wheel located in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA. It is one of the tallest Ferris wheels on the East Coast of the United States, standing at 187 feet tall, with 42 glass-enclosed gondolas that can accommodate up to six passengers each.
The SkyWheel Myrtle Beach was first proposed in 2008 by a local businessman named Larry Bond, who wanted to create a new attraction for visitors to the area. After securing funding and permits, construction began in 2010 and was completed later that same year. The wheel officially opened to the public on May 20, 2011.
Since its opening, the SkyWheel Myrtle Beach has become one of the most popular attractions in the area, drawing in thousands of visitors each year. In addition to offering spectacular views of the Myrtle Beach coastline, the SkyWheel also features a light show that illuminates the wheel in a variety of colors and patterns each night.
Over the years, the SkyWheel Myrtle Beach has undergone several upgrades and renovations, including the addition of VIP gondolas with glass floors, which provide an even more immersive experience for riders. Today, it remains a beloved landmark of Myrtle Beach, offering visitors a unique and unforgettable way to experience the beauty of the area.
The SkyWheel Myrtle Beach is not only a popular attraction for tourists visiting the area, but also for locals who enjoy taking in the panoramic views of the Myrtle Beach coastline. The wheel offers riders a bird's-eye view of the ocean, the beach, and the surrounding cityscape.
Each of the 42 glass-enclosed gondolas is climate-controlled and offers comfortable seating for up to six passengers. The ride takes about 12 minutes to complete, providing ample time for riders to enjoy the view and take photos.
In addition to the standard gondolas, the SkyWheel Myrtle Beach also offers VIP gondolas with glass floors, leather seats, and other premium features. These gondolas are perfect for couples or small groups looking for a more luxurious experience.
One of the unique features of the SkyWheel Myrtle Beach is its nightly light show, which illuminates the wheel with a colorful display of lights and patterns. The light show is synced to music and can be seen from miles away, making it a memorable and iconic part of the Myrtle Beach skyline.
Overall, the SkyWheel Myrtle Beach is a must-visit attraction for anyone visiting the area. It offers a one-of-a-kind experience that combines stunning views, comfortable seating, and a touch of excitement, making it a perfect activity for families, couples, and groups of friends.
Top Tourist Attractions
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is a popular vacation destination with a wide range of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the top tourist attractions in Myrtle Beach, including the SkyWheel Myrtle Beach:
- SkyWheel Myrtle Beach - As mentioned earlier, the SkyWheel Myrtle Beach is one of the top tourist attractions in the area, offering breathtaking views of the coastline and a unique, memorable experience for visitors of all ages.
- Broadway at the Beach - This entertainment complex is a popular destination for shopping, dining, and nightlife in Myrtle Beach. It features over 100 shops, restaurants, and attractions, including a movie theater, mini-golf course, and a Ripley's Aquarium.
- Myrtle Beach State Park - Located just south of the city, this state park features a wide, sandy beach, hiking trails, fishing piers, and a nature center. It's a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! - This museum features a wide variety of oddities, artifacts, and interactive exhibits that are sure to captivate visitors of all ages.
- The Boardwalk - Myrtle Beach's Boardwalk is a popular destination for strolling, people-watching, and enjoying the ocean views. It features a variety of shops, restaurants, and attractions, as well as frequent events and live entertainment.
- Myrtle Waves Water Park - This water park is a great place to cool off and have fun on a hot summer day. It features a variety of water slides, wave pools, lazy rivers, and other attractions.
- Family Kingdom Amusement Park - This amusement park is a classic Myrtle Beach attraction, featuring roller coasters, carnival games, and other rides for all ages.
- Brookgreen Gardens - Located just south of Myrtle Beach, this botanical garden and sculpture park features over 2,000 works of art and 9,000 acres of beautiful gardens and natural areas.
- The Carolina Opry - This theater offers a variety of shows and concerts throughout the year, featuring music, comedy, and other live entertainment.
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans - This minor league baseball team plays at TicketReturn.com Field and offers a fun, family-friendly atmosphere for sports fans of all ages.
The SkyWheel Myrtle Beach is located in the heart of Myrtle Beach, a city situated along the Atlantic coast in the northeastern part of the state of South Carolina, in the United States.
Myrtle Beach is situated on a narrow strip of land that runs along the coast, with the Atlantic Ocean to the east and the Intracoastal Waterway to the west. The city has a total area of about 23.5 square miles (61 km²), with a population of approximately 35,000 people.
The SkyWheel Myrtle Beach is located on Ocean Boulevard, which runs parallel to the beach and is one of the city's main thoroughfares. The wheel is situated just a few blocks south of the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, a popular tourist destination featuring shops, restaurants, and other attractions.
To the north of the SkyWheel, visitors can find a variety of hotels, resorts, and other lodging options, as well as more shopping and dining opportunities. To the south, the city becomes more residential, with a mix of single-family homes, condos, and apartments.
Myrtle Beach is also home to several other popular tourist attractions, including Broadway at the Beach, Myrtle Waves Water Park, and the Myrtle Beach State Park, all of which are within a short driving distance from the SkyWheel.