West Reading Live Cam
A borough in Berks County, Pennsylvania
West Reading History
West Reading is a borough in Berks County, Pennsylvania, United States. The area was originally inhabited by the Lenni-Lenape Native Americans until the arrival of European settlers in the early 18th century. In the late 1700s, West Reading was part of Reading Township, and it wasn't until 1907 that it was officially incorporated as a borough.
During the early years of the borough's existence, it was primarily a residential community, with many of its residents commuting to work in the nearby city of Reading. However, as the area continued to grow, a commercial district developed along Penn Avenue, the borough's main thoroughfare. Today, West Reading is known for its vibrant downtown area, which is home to a variety of unique shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions.
In the mid-20th century, West Reading experienced a period of decline as many residents moved out to the suburbs. However, in recent years, the borough has undergone a revitalization effort, with a focus on preserving the historic character of the community while also attracting new businesses and residents.
West Reading is home to a number of historic landmarks, including the Abraham Lincoln Hotel, which was built in 1930 and was once a popular destination for Hollywood celebrities. The borough also has a strong arts community, with several galleries and performance spaces showcasing the work of local artists and musicians.
Overall, West Reading has a rich history that reflects the growth and evolution of the United States as a whole. From its early days as a rural community to its current status as a thriving cultural and commercial hub, West Reading continues to be an important part of Berks County and the surrounding region.
West Reading Top Tourist Attractions
West Reading, Pennsylvania may be a small borough, but it has a lot to offer visitors. Here are some of the top tourist attractions in West Reading:
- Reading Public Museum: This museum features a wide range of exhibits, including art, science, and history. It is known for its collection of artifacts from ancient Egypt and its planetarium.
- GoggleWorks Center for the Arts: Housed in a former factory building, the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts is a community arts center that offers classes, exhibitions, and performances in a variety of artistic disciplines.
- The Pagoda: Built in 1908, the Pagoda is a 7-story tower that offers stunning views of the surrounding area. It is also home to a restaurant that serves American and Asian cuisine.
- West Reading Farmers Market: Open on Sundays from May to November, the West Reading Farmers Market features fresh produce, baked goods, and artisanal products from local farmers and vendors.
- The Mid-Atlantic Air Museum: Located at the Reading Regional Airport, the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum is dedicated to preserving and presenting the history of aviation. It features a collection of vintage aircraft and hosts an annual World War II weekend event.
- Reading Area Community College: This community college offers a variety of cultural events throughout the year, including concerts, plays, and art exhibitions.
- West Reading Playground: A popular destination for families, the West Reading Playground features a variety of play structures, swings, and a splash pad.
These are just a few of the many attractions that West Reading has to offer. Whether you're interested in history, the arts, or outdoor recreation, there's something for everyone to enjoy in this charming Pennsylvania borough.
West Reading Climate
West Reading, Pennsylvania has a humid subtropical climate with four distinct seasons. Summers are generally hot and humid, with temperatures averaging in the mid to upper 80s Fahrenheit (around 30 degrees Celsius). Winters are cold, with temperatures averaging in the mid to upper 20s Fahrenheit (around -3 to -5 degrees Celsius). Snowfall is common in the winter months, with an average of about 29 inches (74 cm) of snowfall per year.
Spring and fall are mild and pleasant, with temperatures ranging from the 50s to the 70s Fahrenheit (around 10 to 25 degrees Celsius). These seasons are also known for their beautiful foliage, as the trees in the area change colors in the fall and bloom in the spring.
West Reading also experiences a fair amount of precipitation throughout the year, with an average of about 44 inches (111 cm) of rainfall annually. This rainfall is spread relatively evenly throughout the year, although there may be some variations from season to season.
Overall, West Reading's climate is typical of the northeastern United States, with distinct seasonal changes and a fair amount of precipitation throughout the year.
West Reading Geography
West Reading is a borough located in Berks County, Pennsylvania, in the eastern part of the United States. It covers a total area of approximately 0.6 square miles (1.5 square kilometers), with a population of around 4,000 people.
The borough is situated on the eastern bank of the Schuylkill River, which flows through the heart of Berks County. The Schuylkill River Trail, a popular recreational path, runs through West Reading along the river's edge.
West Reading is located approximately 60 miles (97 kilometers) northwest of Philadelphia and is part of the greater Reading metropolitan area. The borough is bordered by the city of Reading to the east and by the townships of Wyomissing and Spring to the west and south, respectively.
The terrain in West Reading is generally flat, with the exception of a small hill on which the famous Pagoda is situated. The surrounding area is characterized by rolling hills and farmland, with the Appalachian Mountains visible in the distance to the north and west.
Overall, West Reading's location in the heart of Berks County offers residents and visitors access to a variety of natural and cultural attractions, including parks, historic landmarks, and recreational opportunities along the Schuylkill River.