Other Live Webcams:
- Catawba Island club
- 4235 E Beachclub Rd. - Port Clinton
- Ohio 43452 - United States
- (419) 797-4424
Originally known as The Catawba Cliffs Beach Club, the concept was to offer Ohioans an exclusive family resort atmosphere. The first building constructed in 1928 was the Old Chapel which presently houses our Dockmaster's office, Galley Bar and Grill, marina showers and youth game room. Recreational sports in the early days included horseshoes, tennis, boating, golfing, bathing in Lake Erie and general relaxation. Fishing, then, as now, was a favorite sport! The first food service offered was in the Log Grill which was constructed on the site of our pool and sundeck. The Chef specialties and Club member favorites were roast beef and Sunday Chicken Dinners. We now serve as many members and guests on Labor Day weekend as were served the entire first summer at the Log Grill.
Noted early members included Mr. Hubert Bennett, then owner of Rattlesnake Island. Mr Bennett was also known for being the first to set a hydroplane down on Lake Erie waters. Other early members included D.A. Gilmore, P. K. Tadsen, A.E. Willard, Dr. E.B. Barlow, Leon Meuche and Willis Hakes. Our, dockmaster in 1930 was known for selling the hottest racing boat of the day... the 22-1/2 ft. Dart! Leslie E. Naefie, Chairman of the Board in 1931, announced initial improvements to the Beach Club. The improvements included a 24 x 104 stone terrace, the first unit of the club house, a solarium (our main dining room), lockers for men and women and 42 "fireproof" hotel rooms with connecting baths. Ground was broken on March 9, 1931.
The Stouffer Family purchased the Catawba Island Club in 1967. Immediately, Jim Stouffer, Sr., embarked on massive Club renovations which included the addition of the Terrace Dining Room, Lounge, Library and Cove Bar, a new swimming pool, fifty new docks, blacktopped the parking lot, tennis courts and construction of the Hotel Lobby. Striving for continued excellence, recent years have seen the construction of The Tavern, the Cliff Room, and remodeling of the Lounge, Library, Main Dining Rooms, Lobby and Front Desk.
More recent renovations upgrading service and facilities for our members included moving the CIC Golf Pro Shop to its newest location on West Catawba Road, a new Fitness Center, and Cove Bar expansion. Generations of families have enjoyed the Catawba Island Club and its reputation continues as the Great Lakes Finest Club for Yachtsmen. Listed are just a few of the many events planned for members to enjoy!