- The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial
- 6424 Lincoln Highway - Stoystown
- Stoystown 15563 - United States
- (814) 893-6552
The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial is a non-profit organization that supports and enhances the Flight 93 National Memorial, which honors the heroic passengers and crew members of United Airlines Flight 93. The organization was founded in 2009, nearly eight years after the tragic events of September 11, 2001.
On September 11, 2001, Flight 93 was hijacked by terrorists as part of the coordinated attacks on the United States. However, the passengers and crew members aboard the flight fought back against the hijackers, preventing the plane from reaching its intended target, believed to be either the U.S. Capitol or the White House. The plane ultimately crashed into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, claiming the lives of all 40 passengers and crew members on board.
The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial was established to support the development, maintenance, and interpretation of the Flight 93 National Memorial. The organization works closely with the National Park Service, which manages the memorial, to ensure its preservation and promote education and public awareness of the events that took place on Flight 93.
The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial has played a significant role in fundraising efforts to support the ongoing development and maintenance of the memorial. They have organized various events, campaigns, and initiatives to raise funds and engage the public in the preservation and commemoration of the site.
The Flight 93 National Memorial, dedicated on September 10, 2011, consists of several components, including the Wall of Names, which honors the passengers and crew members, a visitor center, and a 93-foot-tall Tower of Voices containing 40 wind chimes, each representing a life lost on Flight 93.
The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial continues to work diligently to support the memorial's long-term sustainability, preserve the memories of the brave individuals on Flight 93, and ensure that future generations understand the importance of their heroic actions.
Here are some key points about The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial:
- Mission and Objectives: The organization's primary mission is to support and supplement the programs and projects of the Flight 93 National Memorial. Their objectives include fundraising, community engagement, educational outreach, and promoting public awareness of the memorial's significance.
- Fundraising: The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial plays a vital role in fundraising efforts for the memorial. They organize various fundraising campaigns and events throughout the year to generate financial support for the ongoing development, maintenance, and preservation of the site. These funds are used to enhance visitor experiences, maintain infrastructure, and support educational programs.
- Volunteer Engagement: The organization actively encourages volunteer participation to assist with various tasks and activities at the memorial. Volunteers contribute their time and skills in areas such as visitor services, landscaping, interpretation, special events, and administrative support. The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial greatly values the dedication and commitment of its volunteers.
- Educational Outreach: A significant focus of The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial is educating the public, particularly students, about the events of September 11, 2001, and the courageous actions of the passengers and crew members on Flight 93. The organization collaborates with schools and educational institutions to provide resources, curriculum materials, and guided educational programs to deepen understanding and promote remembrance.
- Advocacy and Awareness: The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial actively engages in advocacy efforts to ensure the memorial's long-term sustainability and promote its national significance. They work closely with government officials, community leaders, and other organizations to raise awareness about the memorial and garner support for its continued development and preservation.
- Commemorative Events: The organization helps organize and facilitate commemorative events and ceremonies at the Flight 93 National Memorial. These events bring together families of the victims, survivors, first responders, and the general public to honor the memory of the brave individuals who sacrificed their lives.
Overall, The Friends of Flight 93 National Memorial plays a crucial role in supporting the Flight 93 National Memorial's operations, maintenance, and educational initiatives. Through their efforts, they ensure that the heroic actions of the passengers and crew members on Flight 93 are remembered and that the memorial remains a place of reflection, remembrance, and inspiration for generations to come.