Celebration Square Live Cam

Park and amphitheatre located on City Centre Drive

Share:


Other Live Webcams:


Hosted by:

  • City of Mississauga
  • 300 City Centre Drive - Mississauga
  • Ontario L5B 3C1 - Canada
  • 905-615-4311
  • https://www.mississauga.ca/

The most popular mayors in the country

After a decline of French power in the region, the British continued to trade with the Natives. It did not take long for the introduction of European cultures, technology and diseases to prompt an end to the Mississauga's way of life.

In 1806, Samuel Wilmot completed the survey of the southern half of Toronto Township, and the area began to open for settlement. Many of Mississauga's earliest settlers were United Empire Loyalists, so called because they received land grants for their loyalty to the British during the American Revolution. Regardless of background, the early settlers shared the challenge of creating communities amid daunting conditions.

Racey sold his land to settlers in 1827 and a thriving village called "Toronto" soon developed around mills, farms, the post office, a chair factory, a brewery, and taverns. By the time the Credit Valley Railway opened a station on Erindale Station Road in 1879, however, the village's hopes for prosperity had already been lost to the path of the Great Western Railway further south. The quiet village, which had become a favourite stop for travellers between Toronto and Hamilton, had also become known as "Springfield." In 1890, it was renamed "Erindale" after the estate of the first minister of St. Peter's Anglican Church, Rev. James McGrath who had helped settle the area. St. Peter's still commands a scenic perch atop a hill in Erindale, and has just celebrated its 170th anniversary of involvement in the community.

Even a quick glance at old maps of Mississauga would reveal the presence of many other villages and hamlets in the 19th century, many of which have disappeared without a trace. The Home District, which was the initial unit of government, was abolished in 1852 and Toronto Township became part of Peel County. By this time, the "pioneer" days were over, land was settled, and industry was in full gear. Late 19th-century politics and community developments were characterized largely by the presence of transportation and communication links and, in some cases, debate over the county seat, which Brampton won in 1867.

Most of Toronto Township was farmland during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was not until the huge postwar influx, which began in the 1940s, of people from all over the globe, that this pattern changed significantly. While still a young city with a growing urban character, Mississauga has a rich, and diverse history stretching back almost 10,000 years.

Chappell Estate/Riverwood - Situated in the scenic Credit River valley, the elegant Chappel Estate/Riverwood (1447 Burnhamthorpe Rd. W.) is generally regarded as one of the finest Tudor-style houses in Ontario. The house was built for Toronto lawyer W.R.P. Parker in 1919 with Credit Valley stones quarried from the property, and given the name Riverwood.

In the early 1950s, the estate was purchased by Toronto lawyer Hyliard Chappel and his wife, Grace. The site was purchased by the City of Mississauga in 1988 and is being recommended for heritage designation. It is currently being used as a city staff training facility and office for the Mississauga Garden Council. Over the years, the Chappel Estate/Riverwood has received architectural awards, been featured in Canadian Home and Garden and other magazines, and in 1986 was used as a location in the filming of the movie Amerika.

Step into the past and discover the Bradley Museum. The museum consists of two historical homes, a barn, driveshed and period gardens located at the corner of Orr and Meadow Wood Roads. The saltbox-style farmhouse built by the Bradley family has been restored to the 1840 time period, with period furnishings and costumed staff bringing it to life. The Anchorage, a Regency-style cottage of the early 19th century, has been upgraded to include modern gallery spaces with changing exhibits, a Sunday tea room and gift shop.

Dundas Street was originally constructed as a military trail in the 1790's, located far enough north of Lake Ontario to be out of range of American attacks from the water. Hurontario Street was originally called "Centre Road", because it split Toronto township through the centre. The present-day Lighthouse was constructed in 1991.

Most of the stores and homes in Cooksville were destroyed by a fire in 1852. Erindale was originally called Springfield, but changed its name in 1890 in honor of the estate owned by the Reverend James Magrath, who helped settle the area in the 1830's. The Credit River flows 127.6 km and it is over 22.5 metres deep as it passes its deepest point at Erindale.

Have you ever dreamed of holding the Stanley Cup like Bobby Orr? Always wanted to visit the famous Montreal Canadiens dressing room? Want to see if your wicked slap shot is as accurate as Mike Bossy's? You can do all of this and so much more as hockey's greatest moments are brought to life with exhibits and interactive displays at the new Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum. An enjoyable experience for hockey fans of all ages. Located in BCE Place at 30 Yonge St.

Who says that wild animals can only be found in the jungle? Take a zoomobile ride and see the 5,000 animals the Metro Zoo has to offer. There's a daily schedule of demonstrations and talks - so come spend a day at the zoo! The Metro Zoo is located at 361A Old Finch Ave.

This Toronto waterfront landmark is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, so come on out and be a part of it!. Ontario Place features a Cinesphere IMAX movie screen, plenty of rides and attractions for all ages. It's also home to a fireworks competition at the end of June. Park open mid-May through Labour Day. Located at 955 Lakeshore Blvd.

Learning can be so much fun - especially at the Royal Ontario Museum! Open year-round, the museum is home to a dinasaur gallery, Bat Cave and a working paleontology lab, which guarantees a fun day for all ages. Special family admission rates available. Located at 100 Queen's Park.

The world's greatest entertainment centre has many great features, including a retractable roof, the SkyDome Hotel and the Hard Rock Cafe restaurant. SkyDome is home to Toronto Blue Jays baseball in the summer, Toronto Argonauts football in the fall, Toronto Raptors basketball in the winter and rock concerts and consumer shows throughout the year. Located at #1 Blue Jays Way - right next door to the CN Tower.

During the hot summer months, cool off at this water-themed playground that offers something for the whole family. There are water slides, batting cages, volleyball courts, and mini-golf courses, plus a licensed restaurant. The park is located south of Steeles Ave. on Finch Ave.

Ontario's Most Exciting Shopping Experience - Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, offers an unsurpassed shopping experience, with 1.4 million square feet of retail space and 324 stores and services that cater to all ages, tastes and budgets.

Square One represents the best in Canadian, U.S. and international retailers. The Disney Store, Eddie Bauer, Club Monaco, Talbots and Gap are just a few. There are several full line and specialty department stores: The Bay, Sears, Eaton's, Ashbrooks and Wal-Mart. Square One also houses a 40,000 square foot children's specialty mall - the largest of its kind in Canada.

In addition, Square One offers customers a vast selection of popular, high quality food choices/options including sit-down restaurants and the exciting Mövenpick Marchelino. We also offer free strollers, wheelchairs, coat and parcel checks and free emergency car towing and boosting.

Established in 1974, the Mississauga Sports Hall of Fame ensures that the achievements of those Mississauga athletes, coaches, managers and others who reached outstanding results in their respective pursuits of excellence are recognized today and preserved for tomorrow. The Hall of Fame is located on the fourth floor of the Mississauga Civic Centre, at the top of the Great Stairs.



Map & Directions