The Wildwood Boardwalk is located in Wildwood, New Jersey, a popular tourist destination on the Jersey Shore. The boardwalk dates back to the early 1900s when it was originally built as a way to promote tourism in the area. The first section of the boardwalk was constructed in 1909 and it has been expanded and renovated numerous times since then.
Throughout the early 20th century, the Wildwood Boardwalk was a popular destination for tourists who came to enjoy the beach, amusement parks, and other attractions. During this time, the boardwalk was home to a number of iconic attractions, including the Giant Slide, the Wild Mouse roller coaster, and the famous Doo Wop motels.
In the 1950s and 1960s, the boardwalk experienced a boom in popularity as more and more people began to visit the Jersey Shore. During this time, the boardwalk underwent a major expansion, adding new attractions, shops, and restaurants. The famous Wildwood tramcar was also introduced during this time, providing visitors with an easy way to get up and down the boardwalk.
Today, the Wildwood Boardwalk remains a popular destination for visitors from around the world. The boardwalk is home to a wide range of attractions, including amusement parks, water parks, arcades, and more. It is also home to a number of iconic landmarks, such as the Wildwood sign and the famous Wildwood Ferris wheel.
Top Tourist Attractions
The Wildwood Boardwalk is a popular tourist destination on the Jersey Shore, and there are many attractions that draw visitors from around the world. Some of the top tourist attractions on the Wildwood Boardwalk include:
- Morey's Piers: Morey's Piers is a famous amusement park located on the boardwalk. It features dozens of rides and attractions, including roller coasters, water rides, and family-friendly attractions.
- Wildwood Beach: The Wildwood Boardwalk is located right next to the beach, which is a popular destination for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Wildwood Ferris Wheel: The Wildwood Ferris Wheel is one of the most iconic landmarks on the boardwalk. It stands at 156 feet tall and provides riders with stunning views of the boardwalk and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Splash Zone Water Park: Splash Zone Water Park is another popular attraction on the boardwalk. It features a variety of water slides, a lazy river, and other water-based attractions.
- The Wildwood Convention Center: The Wildwood Convention Center is a large event space located on the boardwalk. It hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including trade shows, concerts, and sporting events.
- The Wildwoods Sign: The Wildwoods Sign is an iconic landmark located at the entrance to the boardwalk. It features the words "The Wildwoods" in bright, colorful lights and is a popular spot for photos.
- The Beachfront Water Parks: In addition to Splash Zone Water Park, there are several other water parks located right on the beach. These parks feature a variety of water-based attractions, including slides, pools, and more.
- The Boardwalk Arcades: The Wildwood Boardwalk is home to several arcades that feature classic and modern arcade games, as well as other attractions like laser tag and go-karts.
- The Wildwood Tramcar: The Wildwood Tramcar is a famous attraction that provides visitors with an easy way to get up and down the boardwalk. The tramcar runs the entire length of the boardwalk and provides a unique view of all the attractions and landmarks along the way.
- The Doo Wop Motels: The Wildwood Boardwalk is home to a number of historic Doo Wop motels, which feature colorful, retro architecture that is unique to the area. These motels provide visitors with a unique and nostalgic experience that can't be found anywhere else.
- The Wildwood Boardwalk was first constructed in 1909 as a way to promote tourism in the area.
- The boardwalk underwent a major expansion in the 1950s and 1960s, adding new attractions, shops, and restaurants.
- The Wildwood tramcar was introduced in the 1960s as a way to provide visitors with an easy way to get up and down the boardwalk.
- During the mid-20th century, the Wildwood Boardwalk was a popular destination for vacationers, especially young adults who came to enjoy the vibrant nightlife and live music scene.
- The boardwalk is home to a number of iconic landmarks, including the Wildwood sign and the famous Wildwood Ferris wheel.
- The boardwalk has been featured in a number of movies and TV shows, including "The Sopranos," "Boardwalk Empire," and "The Amityville Horror."
- The Wildwood Boardwalk is home to a number of historic Doo Wop motels, which feature colorful, retro architecture that is unique to the area.
- In 2016, the boardwalk was named the "best boardwalk in America" by Coastal Living magazine.
- The boardwalk hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including concerts, car shows, and food festivals.
- The Wildwood Boardwalk has been a popular tourist destination for over a century and continues to attract visitors from around the world with its unique mix of attractions, entertainment, and history.
The boardwalk stretches for 38 blocks, running parallel to the beach and the Atlantic Ocean. The boardwalk is approximately 1.8 miles long and features a variety of attractions, shops, and restaurants.
The Wildwood Boardwalk is located on a barrier island, which is a narrow strip of land that separates the ocean from the mainland. The island is approximately 5 miles long and 1 mile wide, with the Atlantic Ocean to the east and the Wildwood Crest to the west. The boardwalk is situated on the eastern side of the island, facing the ocean, and is one of the largest boardwalks in the state of New Jersey.
The Wildwood Boardwalk is easily accessible by car, with several major highways running through the area, including the Garden State Parkway and the Atlantic City Expressway. There is also a public transportation system that includes bus and tram services, making it easy for visitors to get around the area.
The geography of the Wildwood Boardwalk area is characterized by its sandy beaches, oceanfront location, and the unique landscape of a barrier island. The area is known for its natural beauty, and the boardwalk offers visitors the opportunity to enjoy the ocean and beachfront, as well as a variety of attractions and entertainment options.